Recently, NSPR became a Certified B Corporation, and to celebrate this achievement, Managing Director, Kate Grant sat down with the B Corp team to share more about our purpose and how we’re helping our clients shine.
Read the blog here.
We also share our tips for any aspiring B Corps about the certification process.
- Sign up for one of the B Lab’s ‘Become a B Corp’ sessions, where they talk you through the process and provide tips on how best to approach it.
- While it is great to have someone who is ultimately responsible, the more people you can involve in the process, the better, as it will strengthen your organisation and ensure everyone is constantly thinking about improvement.
- Remember, B Corp thinking is not about being first (the ‘me’ approach) – it’s about the wider impact (the ‘we’ approach). This means taking time to talk to others in order to achieve a bigger impact is well worthwhile.
- Reach out for help from the B Lab team. There are also B Consultants and the B Corp Community will also be happy to support.
- The certification process makes you think about things in a different way. For example, getting services and products you need from someone locally might be a no-brainer, but what if you go a step further and get them from an organisation that is majority owned by a wahine (woman) or an individual from an underrepresented population or another B Corp. This is just one example of how the process expanded the way I think about and do business.
- When it comes to writing policies, B Lab provides a library of best-practice literature that is invaluable.
- Be open to thinking about how you currently govern your business and what that might look like in the future.
- Just because you are doing it might not be enough. Documentation is critical for verification.
- NSPR is very happy to kōrero directly with anyone considering the B Corp certification process.
- Finally, B Corp Certification is not something you will receive in a week – remember it is not about ticking a box. The journey is fantastic for strengthening what type of company you are and most importantly want to be.